Organic Chia Seeds
Matakana Superfoods Organic Chia Seeds. Grown in its natural environment in the fertile plains of Central and South America. Aztec Superfood! Chia seed is considered one of the greatest super foods, with just 1 mouthful said to sustain Aztec warriors in battle for 24 hours! Containing many nutrients, this humble seed has a mild, nutty flavour and can be chewed, sprinkled on sandwiches, added to soups, smoothies, breads, cakes, cereal or mixed with water to produce its special Chia gel. Chia seeds add value both nutritionally and as a functional superfood with many health advantages. Product of Central/South America. Packed in NZ. Gluten Free. Raw. Vegan. This is a mixed colour chia seed mix. 250 grams
WOW! 1 tbls provides 130.8mg calcium, 70.2mg magnesium, 138.6mg phosphorus & 133.8mg potassium, as well as 3.15 grams of protein and 5.5 grams of carbohydrate.
Benefits of Chia seeds
- Chia seeds contain one of the highest known sources of the essential fatty acids Omega 3 and Omega 6.
- Every tiny seed contains protein, carbohydrate, fibre and fat (healthy essential fats). Ancient Mayan folklore said that just 1 mouthful of Chia seeds could sustain a warrior for twenty four hours. (We would not recommend living on Chia seeds alone and only make this statement to make a point).
- When mixed with water, the seeds swell and form mucilage, a slippery substance which has a soothing and lubricating effect when ingested. This can be helpful for digestion and helping with the transit time of waste matter through the bowel.
- These seeds have a long "shelf life" due to their antioxidant content. In fact, Chia seeds have a shelf life of up to 36 months, if kept at room temperature and dry.
There are many more reported health benefits of chia seeds, these are just some of them.
The recommended dosage of Chia seeds is 1-2 tablespoons per day.
Chia is a gluten free wholefood that can be sprinkled over kids lunches, salads, smoothies, soup or incorporated into pastries, muffins, breads and cakes. It can also be mixed with water to form a nourishing gel that can be added to smoothies, juices, soups and sauces.
A teaspoon in hot water makes a great tea. Chia has a pleasant mild nutty taste so you can boost your favourite foods with natural goodness without altering their flavour.
Weight for weight, Chia Seeds contain:
- 10 times more Omega 3 than salmon
- 4 times more antioxidants than blueberry
- 3 times more iron than spinach
- 20% high quality protein
- High levels of the natural anti-inflammatory Omega 6
- An assortment of naturally occuring vitamins and minerals
- 5 times more calcium than milk
- 15 times more magnesium than broccoli
- 18 amino acids
- Chia seeds also have a slow burn glycemic index
Chia Gel may replace eggs and oils in cakes
A gel made from chia may replace as much as 25% of the oil or eggs in cakes, without affecting taste, says a new study that points to more nutritious products. In addition to being acceptable to the taste buds of consumers, the chia gel containing cakes had almost 60 mg more omega 3 fatty acids per 100 grams, according to findings published in The Journal of the American Dietetic Association. This sounds great for those who have intolerances to eggs and oil.
Fonterra have used Chia seeds
The seeds are rich in protein, fibre and amino acids and also omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. The seeds have been proposed for use in bread, while in Chile they have also been used in Pasta and in Australia and New Zealand in a yoghurt product made by Fonterra.
Chia seeds in cooking
Chia seeds have been used in the US in nutritional supplements, bars, breakfast cereals and cookies. A new study looked at the use of chia gel, obtained by soaking chia seeds in water, as fat replacers in cakes.
Rafael Borneo says "When we use Chia Seeds, They'll Never notice the difference".
"For a fat replacer to be successful it should improve or at least preserve the functional characteristics and sensory feelings of the food in which is will be used", explained the researchers. "In this case, the fat replacer should maintain the functional characteristics of the product (ie cake weight, cake volume and symmetry) and preserve the taste, texture and colour of the cake as compared to the traditional formula (control)
Led by Rafael Borneo from the Centre of Excellence in Products and Processes Cordoba at the Argentine ministry of Science and Technology, the researches prepared cakes with oil or eggs replaced at levels of 0,25,50 and 75%.
The results obtained using Chia seeds in the study
The data showed that the best results were obtained at a chia gel substitution level of 25%, based on a comparison with the colour, taste, texture and overall acceptability of control cakes.
Furthermore, the overall weight of the cakes were unaffected by addition of chia gel, said the researchers.
"This study demonstrates that chia gel can replace as much as 25% of the oil or eggs in cakes, while yielding a more nutritious product with acceptable sensory characteristics," wrote Borneo and his co-workers.
Source Journal of the American Dietetic Association, June 2010, Volume 110, issue 6, Pages 946-949.
100% Central/South American grown mixed colour Chia seeds. Organic. Packed in New Zealand for Matakana Superfoods. Seeds and nuts may be used to packed using the same equipment. Gluten free. GMO free. No known allergies. Vegan. Organic.
Keep out of the reach of children. Seeds and nuts may be packaged using the same equipment.